As I driving north on a friday, an error popped up in the instrument cluster, telling me the drivetrain urgently needed service. I could however feel no difference in how the car drove. I continued my journey.
When I arrived, I unloaded my luggage and the pooch. Got back in the car to see if the error still was there, which it was. The difference now was it was more of them. When I tried to put the car in Drive or Reverse, it just wouldn’t. New errors with “Starting car, system control, please wait”
Since nothing I did worked, I called Polestar Assistance/Connect-button in the car.
As it has become the norm, a product is not done when delivered to the public anymore, and we’ve come to expect some bugs and non-functioning things. Cars are the same, especially when they contain so much technology as they do now.
Here’s my list of issues I have encountered (or picked up from others) since I’ve taken delivery.
Lights: Auto Pixel-highbeams does not work, no change when turning the knob as instructed
ACC/RTI: The car does not read the signs for automatic traffic control/speed cameras
ACC: Unable to choose the settings for ACC to use the posted speed limit as upper limit
Inst.Cluster: No indication if DRLs or driving lights are illuminated, the same symbol is shown regardless
Bug or oversight?
Phone app: Does not exist
Since phone app doesn’t exist, there’s no preconditioning.
Electrical: Phantom warnings about the 12V-system
Might be more serious
Electrical: The 12V-battery should always be charging from the high-voltage battery when required, not just when driving.
Apps, Spotify: Only showing the first 100 songs in a playlist
Apps, Spotify: Not possible to select higher quality streaming
Inst.Cluster: When opening the hood/frunk when the car is parked, it will still warn “Stop safely” and beep. This is not necessary when parked since it was a deliberate action by the driver
Charging: Not respecting set charge limit (Charging to 100% even though limit set to 80%)
4G: Data connectivity often stops working, even though there’s coverage
After many months of waiting and anticipated I finally got the date for my delivery. It was finally the end of scouring facebook groups, reviews on youtube and so forth for any new detail of information I hadn’t gleamed yet. I could finally experience the car for myself.
21st of August I got the keys, and drove home. Even though it was raining, it was all sunshine inside the car and in my mind – the car was great!
So when I made the server rack I planned to have a door in front of it, to conceal the equipment, make it look a bit nicer. It would also act like a air filter for dust and fur, as I planned to use speaker cloth in it.
So, I needed to use the room in my annex a little more efficient, as you never will have enough space…
Since I have two bikes in there, it would be more space-efficient to have them on top of each other instead of wheel-to-wheel.
One easy to do way to achieve this was to just find some shelving Ls and throw the bike up. But I wanted a bit more finesse, and hopefully use the space even better.
I bought a UPS a year back to use in the server rack.
What I did not think of was the noise level. I think I saw the specs and saw a fan, but didn’t think it would be spinning all the time, or to be so loud.
Well, I was wrong and the fan was a bit louder than I could accept.
First thing I tried was the easy one. I just swapped out the fan with another one I had, a Noctua. Known for their silence.
That worked for 5 minutes, after which the UPS decided the fan had stopped and turned itself off. The fan WAS running, though.
Apparently there must be an incompatibility with the RPM-sensors – perhaps.
I’m doing some (much needed) maintenance work on the 240 these days, and one thing that has been a problem for the last couple of years is that is will overheat when idling/standing still.
Now, the thermostat was changed a few years ago so in my mind it should still be fine. And water does flow, so it seems to be working as it’s supposed to.
Also did consider the radiator, but hoped it was alright, since all is well temp-wise when driving.
I fancied some coffee from the capsule machine the other day, instead of using the brewer. Just wanted a quick cup, so no need to brew a whole litre.
Anyway, found the machine after it had been standing unused for 1.5 years-ish. Plugged it in and fed it water. As soon as I started it, it made a muffled sound instead of the normal ‘brewing-sound’. And no coffee came out. But all the water came out of the underside 😛
First I tried cleaning the injector, but to no avail. Still the same. So I figured it had to be something with the piping somewhere inside it.
I required a set of torx-drivers, the security-type. Can’t remember the size, sorry. Removed the backside: