I fancied some coffee from the capsule machine the other day, instead of using the brewer. Just wanted a quick cup, so no need to brew a whole litre.
Anyway, found the machine after it had been standing unused for 1.5 years-ish. Plugged it in and fed it water. As soon as I started it, it made a muffled sound instead of the normal ‘brewing-sound’. And no coffee came out. But all the water came out of the underside 😛
First I tried cleaning the injector, but to no avail. Still the same. So I figured it had to be something with the piping somewhere inside it.
I required a set of torx-drivers, the security-type. Can’t remember the size, sorry.
Removed the backside:
After that, the front cover was removed – it’s just stuck on, used a plastic tool (the blue one) and slid it between the red and black cover on the front side and took it off. Remember to disconnect the connector for the lights.
So, with the frontside off, the sides. Start on the bottom and work up. Hardest part was to dislodge them from the top. But some force and they were off. Then I could start testing some of the piping in there.
So on the left side here, is the controller board on top, and the water pump beneath it. The water heat element is located on the right side.
Started with blowing air through the pipes and hoses. First from the water tank and to the water pump – worked great. Then from the water pump and to the injector – worked great.
That’s all I needed to guess it was the water pump itself being the problem. Since I could hear it pump, it must be clogged or seized somehow.
Disassembled the water pump
So, it turned out the part second from the right, it contains another spring and a rubber “ball”. When I tried to blow through it, nothing got through. Then I stuck a thin screw driver through it, but it stopped halfway in, when it hit the rubber ball. Tried a couple of times, and then it finally let go. I could now push it in, and I could blow through it. I then washed it well in a vinegar solution and reassembled the pump.
Hooked the pump back on, and test drove the machine. Success! Water flowed through and into my cup.
Assembled it all, and tried a cup of coffee. Still working! Awesome. After that I descaled the machine to thoroughly clean it, and now it runs as new again.
Money and environment saved.