So when I made the server rack I planned to have a door in front of it, to conceal the equipment, make it look a bit nicer. It would also act like a air filter for dust and fur, as I planned to use speaker cloth in it.
I bought a UPS a year back to use in the server rack.
What I did not think of was the noise level. I think I saw the specs and saw a fan, but didn’t think it would be spinning all the time, or to be so loud.
Well, I was wrong and the fan was a bit louder than I could accept.
First thing I tried was the easy one. I just swapped out the fan with another one I had, a Noctua. Known for their silence.
That worked for 5 minutes, after which the UPS decided the fan had stopped and turned itself off. The fan WAS running, though.
Apparently there must be an incompatibility with the RPM-sensors – perhaps.
Another solution was needed..
So I have had the current server rack for about a year now, and it has served its purpose well. But it was time for a new, better looking and more practical one.
I had planned this for a bit, size-wise, and ended up with something a bit lower, but deeper than the last one. Now nothing sticks out of the back anymore either.
I fancied some coffee from the capsule machine the other day, instead of using the brewer. Just wanted a quick cup, so no need to brew a whole litre.
Anyway, found the machine after it had been standing unused for 1.5 years-ish. Plugged it in and fed it water. As soon as I started it, it made a muffled sound instead of the normal ‘brewing-sound’. And no coffee came out. But all the water came out of the underside 😛
First I tried cleaning the injector, but to no avail. Still the same. So I figured it had to be something with the piping somewhere inside it.
I required a set of torx-drivers, the security-type. Can’t remember the size, sorry.
Removed the backside:
I am a little bit of a tech-freak, and as I also work in IT, I have become accustomed to using rack cabinets for containing all the techy equipment I’ve got to run in the house. It is practical and keeps everything quite tidy.
After acquiring a few pieces of what I needed, I had to make an actual rack to house the equipment.
This is what I did: